12-Point Pre-Harvest Combine Maintenance Checklist
Fall harvest is around the corner. Before you hit the field, give your combine a once-over with this 12-point checklist.
- Clean the machine of dust and dirt for better operation and to help spot wear and potential problems.
- Attach headers to combine and make sure they are opperational, checking height and contour controls.
- On the grain table header, inspect sickle blades and guards, inspect teeth in augers and reel.
- On the corn head, inspect gathering chains and sprockets, adjust the width of stripper plates. Check and adjust drive chains. Remember: Row unit gearboxes operate as mini transmissions and need to be checked once a year. Refill with grease or oil depending on age and brand of corn head.
- Check all belts for wear and replace as needed.
- Check all chains and bearings for wear; replace chains that can’t be adjusted or tensioned correctly.
- For axial combines, inspect rotor and concave, checking wires for damage and bars for wear.
- Check unloading system auger. If edges are sharp like a razor blade, replace.
- Perform service checks: engine oil, fuel filter, air cleaner, and hydraulic oil.
- Grease all points per operator’s manual. If a fitting doesn’t take grease, start with replacing the grease fitting.
- Inspect all lights, flashers and reflectors for road travel.
- Call All States Ag Parts at 877-530-4430 for all your tractor and combine parts needs. We have the largest inventory of new, used and remanufactured combine parts in the country. Every part comes with a 1-year warranty.